11/9/06

My Answer To Katyzz

Katyzzz, I’m going to try to answer your questions in order. Of course, we all know elderly people and I believe we’re all at least a little remiss with them. I don’t know. Is it that we think we and our lives are so tunneled and important we don’t want to give of ourselves to get from those who already were there and did that? My feeling is that every generation of young (at least in the West) treats its elders deplorably I don’t talk to older people as much as I should. For that I offer the pitiful excuse that I’m afraid they’d be unhappy with me; I fear I’ve not lived up to what they knew I could be and I’m reluctant to present myself to them as a failure. For the older and elderly to have computers to relieve depression is good on one hand. They have access to people and to life. For them to require this as a grasp on life is terrible. Sure, it’s wonderful they can show that they aren’t the dottering idiots they’ve been portrayed; but why do we refuse fill that emptiness without relegating them to the technical wonders of cyberland? Don’t take this wrong. I firmly believe that any and all intellectual stimulation helps to maintain a healthy mental life. But I also believe computers are not the answer to happy, meaningful longevity. Sharing a pot of coffee with Mom, talking about the old books I just found, finding my heart swell with pride that she’s interested enough to want to borrow those books, that’s something a computer can give to neither of us. How long do I expect to live? Seventy is now considered the new middle age. I’m not there, yet.

No comments: